Select Page

<blog>
<meta author=geek>

A long catchup post

Ok, it's been a while since my last post, but I always say that don't I. After the grinding disc blew apart I refocused on the diffuser for a while. All was ok except cutting the flow straighteners on the edge. It's a pretty complex shape to do by hand, and getting 36...

CNC’ing the mill

Ok, I decided to convert the mill to CNC to speed up a few time consuming processes, and probably gain accuracy. I'm planning to make a 4 axis conversion so I can machine the jet diffuser on it. I did consider 5 axis, but there's no really need right now, and the...

Bang

My last post was about the progress with the toolpost grinder, and how it wasn't quite 100%. This post is about the toolpost grinder and how it isn't quite 100%. I fear change, clearly. So I remade the grinder shaft to a slightly longer length to get rid of the...

Tool Post Grinder

A fun month since the last post. I've been making a tool post grinder (partially) following plans I found on a forum. The idea is to improve the accuracy of the jet engine shaft by using a grinder instead of simply turning. Most importantly I've used my new milling...

New toys

t's been a while since I gave an update. That's largely because there's not been much progress recently. This is no way a reflection on the quantity or quality of tea I'm brought on a regular basis. It is perhaps a reflection of how bloody cold it's been in the...

Jet Engine

So I finished the ring, the main reason for starting this lathe business in the first place. Next on the list is a fun project in 2 distinct parts. The overall project is to build a mini turbojet engine. There are loads of projects and plans on the internet already....

My first finished project

So I've finished my first project. It's the reason I bought my new lathe was to machine titanium for my wedding ring. It's now complete: I'm more than pleased with the end result. Along the way I screwed up another attempt. I had made it about 1mm too big, which meant...

A good workman legitimately blames his crappy tools

In my last update I had just managed to get a stainless steel ring made on the ML4. I had learned loads in the process and worked out how to get the best from the machine. I was also going to have a go at a yet harder material, titanium. I soon discovered that...

Second Attempt

It has been a while since I had a good run at the second attempt of my wedding ring, but I finally finished it at the weekend. I'm not 100% sure yet if this is the final design, or even the final ring. Time may dictate the answer to that. This time around I think I...

First Attempt

I've had a play on the 'new' lathe and to say it's been a learning experience is an understatement. I've not used a lathe before, so everything I now know has been from trial and error and the collective knowledge of youtube. The motor mount I wrote about before is...

</blog>